HCOf Creativity Prompt: Draw Your Pet
Our Holland Community Opera Fellowship (HCOF) is committed to being a creative and artistic resource to our community. Usually this takes many forms and Opera Omaha's HCOF Fellows (Gwenna, Jared, Kate, and Kaitlin) lead creative workshops and programming for all ages. Since we can’t be in the community in person, we’ve adapted and created a few of our #HCOFCreativityPrompts for your use at home. Each weekday we’ll post a different prompt on our blog and share on our social media platforms. These activities can be done alone or with others. Creativity is not just for kids, and these prompts are written for a wide variety of audiences so feel free to modify as needed!
Today's Creativity Prompt
Draw Your Pet
Take some time to draw your adorable pet!
Time to complete
Drawing supplies and paper
Find your pet. Sometimes it’s helpful to draw them while they’re sleeping OR use a photo as a reference. If you don’t have your own pet perhaps draw a friend or family member’s pet, or your favorite animal.
As you start to draw, remember that you aren’t looking for perfection. Start with a few simple shapes. Try to think of what shapes your animal is made of, circles, ovals etc. If you work in small, bite-sized pieces, you’ll find your drawing will slowly come together. Remember, everything you draw is art, even if you don’t immediately like it.
Ask yourself some of these questions, see if they can inform your drawing.
- What are some personality traits of the animal you’re drawing? Ex. Playful, sleepy, gentle, loving, mischievous, smart.
- What do you value most about having the company of your animal? If you’re drawing a different animal, what are some things you imagine you would like about having them around?
- If their mood was a color, what would the color be right now? Ex. My cat looks calm, and the color calm reminds me of is blue.
- What are some of the animal’s favorite things? Maybe consider integrating them into the drawing.
- If my animal had a middle name, what would it be? If you’re drawing an animal you don’t know personally, make up a name for them that makes sense to you.
Send your drawing to family and friends! Challenge someone to draw their pet, or a picture of your pet. Comment on this activity’s Facebook post or tag @OperaOmaha in an Instagram Story with #hcofcreativityprompts.