Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Status: Full Time, Salaried
Reports to: Producing Director
Salary: starting at $60,000 annually + benefits
WHO WE ARE + WHAT WE DO
Opera Omaha, a non-profit performing arts organization, is a growth-minded, high energy, and innovative company with a demanding mission: producing opera performances in multiple formats and styles and co-creating artist-led programs for a variety of community service organizations. The company highly values the creation of an inventive, creative, empathetic, and inclusive community that inspires joy, self-discovery, kinder discourse, and opportunity for all.
CREATING TOP-TIER PRODUCTIONS THROUGH RACIAL EQUITY CENTERED STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION IS A TOP PRIORITY OF OPERA OMAHA BECAUSE WE VALUE AND PROMOTE DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION.
HOW YOU’D FIT IN + STAND OUT
Opera Omaha is seeking a Director of Production responsible for the realization of all technical and logistics activities and preparations for the company’s performances within multiple departments, including relationship management and development with designers, production staff, technical staff and warehouse/stagehands.
The Director of Production will join Opera Omaha at a critical time in the Company’s history, building an artistic practice under the leadership of our recently installed General Director, Allison Swenson. The Director of Production is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing the production needs and resources for the company’s mainstage productions, site-specific productions, festival productions, community programs, galas, special events and performances, and annual programming (hereinafter referred to throughout this document as, “Productions”). The Director of Production ensures that all production and technical aspects of the Productions are in adherence to established parameters and supports the artistic and financial goals of the company. The Director of Production has the discretion to resolve or recommend for resolution unforeseen circumstances that occur during the course of the season.
YOU ARE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF YOU ARE:
- Well-versed in opera production timelines and resources
- Knowledgeable in safety and emergency management procedures
- Able to effectively manage and coach individuals in a team environment
- Energized by building strong relationships with technical and production teams
- Compassionate with coworkers and direct reports resulting in a human-centered culture
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES + EXPECTATIONS
- Participate in season planning with General Director and Producing Director, including production research and budgeting for potential projects
- Serve as the connector between company leadership and the production/technical staff and design teams, ensuring communication proliferates throughout the department and that needs are being represented and responded to (at all levels).
- Directly supervise the coordination, acquisition/fabrication, and execution of stage properties, costume, wardrobe, wig/makeup, and stage management physical materials and labor.
- Overall responsibility for the coordination and installation of scenic, lighting, sound, video, technical equipment, shipping/transport logistics, and related labor.
- Production timeline and calendar management
- In collaboration with the Producing Director, develop and manage individual production budgets, expenses and timelines.
- Assist in developing budgets for future Productions; Provide budget research.
- Monitor the annual production budget and cash flow (labor, scenic, electrics, costume, production logistics/infrastructure, etc.) including appropriate forecasting, maximizing efficiencies and controlling costs.
- Prepare/maintain internal production records and archival media; document operations as needed.
To succeed in this position, the Director of Production will bring experience in safety, production and technical best practices in the opera, ballet or theater fields and demonstrate the ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a production environment and to deal proactively with company requirements.
- Professional experience will be considered in lieu of an academic degree
- Strong training in safety protocols and personnel management
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing independent projects and highly self- motived
- Excellent organizational, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated characteristics of curiosity and initiative and centering of humans
- Experience with union crews and interpretation and implementation of union agreements.
- Strong computer skills, including a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher) and AutoCAD and/or VectorWorks.
- Benefits - Medical, dental, and life as part of our commitment to investing in the health and well-being of our employees.
- Retirement savings plans: 403b savings plan with Company Retirement Contribution
- Flexible time off and holiday pay
We seek applicants from ALL backgrounds to join our teams and encourage our employees to bring their authentic, original, and best selves to work.
Opera Omaha is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
We value diverse experiences, including educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and may be subject to background checks as required by community partner organization policies.
Join Our Team!
Please send a cover letter outlining interest and qualifications with resume. Video submissions are accepted in lieu of a written cover letter. Written submissions will be redacted of personal information for initial review by the hiring manager.
Please send materials to:
Cydnea Hoff, Office Manager, at email@example.com with DIRECTOR OF PRODUCTION in the subject line.
Application Deadline: open until filled.
Desired start date: April 1, 2023